Friday, August 11, 2006

Playing Possum?

The other night I was sleeping peacefully, as usual, when I was disturbed by a ruckus outside. It was Molly, going crazy barking at something. I couldn't make out everything she was saying, but the gist was along the lines of "Who are you?! What do you want here?!" Only more incoherent.

My male human was outside with her and he came in to get a flashlight. My female human asked what was going on and he said Molly had something cornered. A few minutes later he came back in for the camera. (I enjoy that they do this for me, though I wish I could operate it; their pictures often leave much to be desired.) He said it was a possum. My female human remarked that it was three o'clock in the morning (the significance of that remark escaped me, but she didn't seem happy about it) but she got up.

Here is the sight that greeted us, and I ask you, is this something to be awakened for? I thought I was having a nightmare.


Molly ran at it (it was holed up inside a cinderblock affair) and the humans yelled, "Molly, no!" so she backed off. That was enough for me. I waited on the steps until they were finished staring at it. I'm not sure what the fascination was; I personally do not find it edifying in the least to ogle God's mistakes. Especially when they come with sharp teeth.

If this is what they mean when they say "playing possum," I admit that I don't really see the playfulness. But who knows what humans mean when they say anything?

I just wanted to go back to bed and forget that such creatures even exist. Thankfully, we haven't seen it since. I guess Molly's good for something, after all.

2 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger indie said...

Hello Sassafras,

My name is Indie and I'm a short legged Jack Russell pup from London, England.

I checked out your blog when I saw we had the same interests!

puppy dog- what is that in your garden? I would freak if it came in mine, also those weirdo crestures, its soooo scary where you pee! Be careful puppy!

I have a smallback garden as we live in London where green space is limited, but my garden backs on to a bigger communal garden where there are foxes that I like to flirt with. Yea I know, shouldnt flirt with rough wild dogs, but hey, got to have fun sometimes.

Anyway, I thought you might like to check out my blog indiestarstonewww.blogspot.com , you might like it!

regards,
Indie xx

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger sassyboodle said...

Hi, Indie!

How cool is it that you're English? I have a transatlantic paw-pal! Molly (my sort-of sister) will be so jealous.

I don't know what a fox is, but I don't think I'd like it if it is a sort of rough wild dog. (I'm cautious by nature, if you haven't noticed.) Be careful out there!

Thanks for dropping by and I will be visiting your blog!

adios,
sassy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home